Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

"How's married life?"


I get that question a lot since I just got married. Two months ago today, in fact. My married life is a lot like my engaged life, or my living together life. John and I have lived together for about two and a half years now. We have a house and a dog. Our life isn't really that different now, except I like to constantly remind John that there are no takebacks. And I changed my name.

It's funny how things turn out sometimes. When I graduated from college, I applied to jobs all over the country and didn't get any of them. I took a job in San Antonio at a magazine as an assistant and then found another job at a nonprofit. I wound up staying in San Antonio when I was trying so hard to leave.

But San Antonio is where I met John. It's where we live and have friends and dinner parties and get to wear flip flops all over town. It takes 30 minutes to drive 20 miles. We both have jobs we like in a town largely untouched by the recession.

And we have each other. He is my partner and my best friend. He makes me laugh with his dancing. Even when I'm mad at him, I tell him "I love you, but I don't like you right now." Because it's true - I always love him, even when he doesn't do the dishes.

Here's to two months of marriage, and many more to come.

1 comment:

Kate said...

That is a very sweet post. You went right for the blogular in my heart with that one!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin