Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cheddar Dogs with Cider-Braised Leeks and Apples


If you don't like hot dogs, then you can leave my blog right now. And never come back. (Just kidding.) (Not really. I like hot dogs a lot.)

I grew up loving hot dogs and I ate them with ketchup and sweet pickle relish. I think I got this from my mom, who loves hot dogs so much, I bought her one of those hot dog and bun cookers for Mother's Day one year. She loved it.

I'm an adult now, which means I'm supposed to like adult things, like PBS, historical fiction, and talking about retirement plans. Well, fuck that noise. I don't like those things. But I do like adult toppings my hot dogs.

This recipe is from Bon Appetit in an article about hot dog toppings from around the world. We had a really hard time deciding which one to pick.

This recipe is pretty simple. You cut up and cook leeks and apples. Then you add some stuff, including hard apple cider. Then you top the hot dogs with dijon mustard, cheddar cheese and the topping. Delicious!

From Bon Appetit

Cheddar Dogs with Cider-Braised Leeks and Apples

Leeks and apples simmered in cider add a hint of sweetness—a nice contrast to the sharp melted cheddar. If you can find oblong pretzel rolls at your market, they'll make an ideal accompaniment to these English-style hot dogs.
Makes 6
July 2009

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
  • 2 cups (generous) thinly sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only)
  • 1 apple, peeled, cored, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • Pinch of ground allspice
  • Coarse kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 cups hard apple cider or 1 1/4 cups apple cider and 1/4 cup bourbon
  • 6 grilled hot dog buns or brioche-style oblong rolls
  • Dijon mustard
  • 6 grilled all-beef hot dogs
  • 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (1/2 cup packed)

Preparation

  • Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and apple. Cover; cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Mix in caraway and allspice; season with coarse salt and pepper. Add hard cider; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, until most of liquid is cooked away, about 16 minutes.
  • Arrange buns or rolls on plates. Spread each with mustard, then top with grilled hot dogs. Sprinkle dogs with cheese and top with leek mixture.

1 comment:

Melita said...

wow, that looks and sounds delish! next time i get a hot dog craving that's how i'll do it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin